Re:

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re:
Date: 2004-10-19 15:41:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 01:28:52PM +0100, Ben Osborne wrote:
> Postgres 7.0.2 Problem
> -----------------------------------

Yikes. That's old.

> (only) database which is running (other than template1). I suspect that the
> files in the data directory have been conrrupted or otherwise lost
> integrity, possibly due to the fact that the disk partition where the db
> cluster is running has reached 100% usage.
>
> The problem is the -l doesn't list my database in the catalog, although i
> can psql xxxxx into the database. Further, \d lists 'No Relations', however
> i can select * from a table, and although the database reports no rows, the
> table scheme does report correctly.

I doubt that's your problem. I suspect xid wraparound instead.
Unfortunately, without a pg_dump, I suspect your data is
inaccessible (see the current docs, section 21.1.3, for an
explanation of why this is. I think the 7.0 docs don't contain all
that info, BTW). We have a very dangerous tool we've used for testing
that will thump the xid in 7.2, but I have no idea whether that'd
work in versions prior to that. Jan Wieck might know, though.

The fact that technology doesn't work is no bar to success in the marketplace.
--Philip Greenspun