Re: cannot connect from Windows 2000

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: "Fred Parkinson" <FredP(at)abag(dot)ca(dot)gov>
Cc: <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: cannot connect from Windows 2000
Date: 2004-10-17 01:43:17
Lists: pgsql-odbc

On Thursday 14 October 2004 15:46, you wrote:
> We run Postgres on a solaris server.
> I connect to the postgres database from win98 and winxp boxes using
> postgres odbc driver ver. 7.02.00.05
> works every time and i appreciate that.
>
> but so far I am unable to connect from a windows 2000 server box on the
> same network.
> when i try to use control panel and set up a file dsn with the same
> driver and same parameters, I get the error messsage "a connection could
> not be made using the file datasource parameters entered"
>
> I turned logging on, but nothing is written to c: so perhaps the
> connection must be successful before anything is written to the log.
>
> when I create a user dsn and then use a MS tool called ODBCTest and try
> to connect I get SQL_ERROR=-1.
> ODBCtest says I can get a detailed explanation of the error by clicking
> an error button, but the button is disabled.
>
> I have searched the postgres docs (admittedly not exhaustively) and
> have come up with nothing.
>
> I am a programmer not a network engineer and don't even know where I
> should look next to search for the answer.
>
> Any ideas?

You need to look in the error logs of the database. You should have some type
of message starting with "FATAL" which will give you a detailed error message
explaining why you can not get the connection. If you don't have those, then
either your logging needs to be tweaked or your not making contact between
the two machines, so verify your connection settings (hostname/port)

--
Robert Treat