Re: Does PostgreSQL run with Oracle?

From: Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Does PostgreSQL run with Oracle?
Date: 2004-10-15 17:19:48
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Fri, Oct 15, 2004 at 11:54:44AM -0500, Richard_D_Levine(at)raytheon(dot)com wrote:
> My basic question to the community is "is PostgreSQL approximately as fast
> as Oracle?"

> I'm currently running single processor UltraSPARC workstations, and intend
> to use Intel Arch laptops and Linux. The application is a big turnkey
> workstation app. I know the hardware switch alone will enhance
> performance, and may do so to the point where even a slower database will
> still be adequate.

I have found that PostgreSQL seems to perform poorly on Solaris/SPARC
(less so after recent improvements, but still...) compared to x86
systems - more so than the delta between Oracle on the two platforms.
Just a gut impression, but it might mean that comparing the two
databases on SPARC may not be that useful comparison if you're
planning to move to x86.

Cheers,
Steve