Re: Presenting PostgreSQLFr.org and its future

From: Jean-Paul ARGUDO <jean-paul(at)argudo(dot)org>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Presenting PostgreSQLFr.org and its future
Date: 2004-10-11 13:29:48
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hi again,

First of all, sorry for the late reply, I had a lot of things being done before
going back on this subject.

> Great! BTW, do you have any idea whom this "Cit(at)delle" company which owns
> postgresql.fr is?

Really not. Seems to be a classical computer services. Im going to ask them why
they buy this name. .fr domain names are really not easy to buy, even for a
company, it must proove the name is directly linked with the company...

Its another topic, I try to put a guy on it... lets see?

> Yes, although the Advocacy.postgresql.org site will soon be folded into the
> general www.postgresql.org. If your members would be willing to
> translate, we would be glad to have them.

We'll do our best. Keep us on touch with it!

> I would like to work closely with you in this. We are currently working on a
> Non-profit Foundation in the United States to support PostgreSQL, and there
> should definitely be some official relationship between the two entities.
> If it could be made to work, might it be possible to expand your group to an
> EU-wide organization, or are you focussed on French-speaking Europe
> exclusively?

No we'rent focused on a french-speaking organization only. But its already much
work to set up the entity nationaly. Lets see if we can do it in our country
first, Its hard to find people who will help during months and years...

> > * when this is done, we'll look for partenership of commercial entities, or
> > governemental ones. Because we need cash for the following:
>
> This is something we *need* to coordinate on; it would not do for you and I to
> hit up the same company for a donation, seperately. Let's talk.

Yeah, lets talk :-)

> > - we'll have a booth at Linux Solutions 2005: we need to buy posters and
> > tshirts to make the booth sympathetic (sourcewear.com) Im planning to
> > ask O'Reilly and
> > Eyrolles (eyrolles recently migrated its web commercial site to PG and
> > added a testimonial to pgfr.org!...) to let books about PG in the
> > booth.
>
> Actually, if you have some $$ for shipping, I can send you both t-shirts and
> books for the next convention (though the books will be somewhat out of
> date).

Oh really! This is really marvelous :-)

How can we build this up?.. Have we to buy you every item? Or just give you back
the money of the sold items? please tell me a bit more about it :-)

Dont be hurry, the convention is February 2005. ;-)

> Josh Berkus
> Aglio Database Solutions
> San Francisco

Thanks a lot Josh :-)