Re: 7.3.4 vacuum/analyze error

From: "Ed L(dot)" <pgsql(at)bluepolka(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.3.4 vacuum/analyze error
Date: 2004-09-30 03:18:24
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wednesday September 29 2004 8:59, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Ed L." <pgsql(at)bluepolka(dot)net> writes:
> >> Either increase your per-process memory limit, or reduce the
> >> statistics targets for this table ...
> >
> > What am I missing?
> >
> > $ ulimit -a
> > time(seconds) unlimited
> > file(blocks) unlimited
> > data(kbytes) 131072
>
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> This is where the limit is coming from ...
>
> > $ psql -c "select name, setting from pg_settings" | egrep stats_
> > stats_block_level | off
>
> Those are not the statistics I'm talking about. I was assuming that
> you'd done ALTER TABLE SET STATISTICS somewhere along the line, or
> changed default_statistics_target. If you haven't, then this must
> be a pretty strange table --- how many columns has it got?

No ALTER TABLE SET STATISTICS being done here, but I do enable
stats_row_level and stats_block_level.

The table has 3 columns, one of which contains huge text values. Yes, barf.

Should I change the data size to 'unlimited'? Or just bump it up? And is
it possible to change the data size limit for the postmaster and backends
without restarting them?

Ed