Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Server unreliability

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Mitch Pirtle <mitch(dot)pirtle(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Server unreliability
Date: 2004-09-29 20:08:03
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-www

Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, Mitch Pirtle wrote:
>
> > Hi Bruce, we met in Manhattan for your NYPHP presentation - I was the
> > lone PostgreSQL cheerleader in the back ;-)
> >
> > You ask for proposals, no matter how radical, so here goes:
> >
> > o Location of servers
> >
> > Pending bandwidth requirements, I am willing to sponsor hosting of
> > these sites, possibly on dedicated hardware. But I need some ideas of
> > bandwidth usage so I can figure out which strategies make the most
> > sense financially. BTW be glad your servers are not in Florida, I
> > have one client that is in a significant amount of pain right now.
>
> The server location is not changing, but thank you for your offer ...
>
> > o FreeBSD
> >
> > I'm agnostic in this regard, but have experienced that Linux distros
> > seem to be the easiest to maintain (Debian, Fedora).
>
> Again, operating system isn't changing, but thank you for your offer ...

I assume you mean "not changing" while you are administering the
servers. I don't remember any community agreement that the current
setup was permanent, and my thinking now is that all avenues are open
for exploration.

I am not ready to dismiss this offer/idea.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us