Re: Press Release, Final Draft?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Press Release, Final Draft?
Date: 2004-09-22 16:22:46
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

People,

> Uh, what exactly is this "new milestone in scalability"?

Media buzzwordspeak? Suggestions on putting in something more concrete that
references PostgreSQL being better for bigger databases than ever before?

> > Improved Memory and I/O: Disk and memory usage have been improved
> > through an Adaptive Replacement Cache, the Background Writer, and Lazy
> > Vacuum. This will result in more predictable loads and substantially
> > more even performance during peak usage times.
>
> I don't think "more even" sounds good; perhaps "more consistent"
> instead?
>
> Perhaps what is meant is "more predictable"?

Hmmmm ... I think "more consistent".

> Expertly polished version of (the other) Josh's already fine efforts.

All that time I served in fundraising, polishing other people's words with a
soft cloth and some Brasso.

> Nice. Maybe "building on its position" - maintaining sounds a little
> stationary.

Hmmm ... maybe. What I meant was "maintaining our lead as the most
advanced ..." but that doesn't quite work either. Suggestions, anyone?

> maybe "development power" instead of "ability"?

Hmm. I agree that that phrase needs work, but I'm afraid that "development
power of Open Source" sounds cliche'. Tangentally, "Open Source" is a
phrase trademarked by Eric Raymond, but I don't usually see it capitalized.
Anyone know the policy on this?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions