Discussion about posibility of integrating the grid editor and viewer

From: <cameron(at)braid(dot)com(dot)au>
To: <pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Discussion about posibility of integrating the grid editor and viewer
Date: 2004-08-26 11:27:37
Lists: pgadmin-support

First of all I wish to say Hi, since I am new to this list.

My name is Cameron Braid.

I am going to be using PostgreSQL in a new project.

This project is a Java Web Application, using the Hibernate framework + JDBC
for accessing PostgreSQL.

I have been a happy mySQL user for a while, but things are starting to shit
me.. I'll not start a mySQL vs PostgreSQL war, i'll just start using
postgreSQL :)

The pgadmin tool is a great product. I have come originally from SQL
Server, using enterprise manager, then after that mysql using myCC.

I am both comfortable at using both command line / shell style SQL tools,
and GUI tools.

However some of the woth that I have been doing lately requires ad hoch
direct database updates, and using a GUI to do this makes it a simple task.

Currently the pgadmin grid editor works sufficiently to do this, except it
is a little painful having to go through these steps to edit the relevant
data (in multiple tables) for a single task.

* right click on table name
* choose "view data"
* enter filter
* click go
* make changes
* swap to pgadmin to start agin with new table.

In myCC you can have the SQL window open with multiple SQL statements ready,
you just

* select the statement
* execute it eith CTRL-E
* make changes
* repeat for each statement

The only condition is that the statement that you are executing is a "select
* from ..." statement.

I would LOVE it for pgadmin to support launching the grid editor as an
embeded tab in the query window.

Currently there are 3 execute actions to run the selected query
a) execute
b) execute with export
c) explain.

A fourth one
d) execute for update
would be a fantastic addition

Once again, thanks for such a valuable tool.

Cameron.