Re: MySQL vs PostgreSQL

From: Kunal <kunaldua(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: MySQL vs PostgreSQL
Date: 2004-08-26 03:50:21
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi all

Was unable to reply earlier but here I go now... thought it's better to consolidate my responses
in one single mail than sending multiple ones.

This is not my acadmey award winning "thank you" speech :) - just wanted to thank each one of you
for taking the time out to write detailed responses and/ or point to some useful links... Thanks a
ton!

Tim
Thanks for your response - not exactly what I asked, like you said :) but it was good to hear your
"perspective" - reading your mail has me all excited about learning Python as well - something I
have been wishing to do for a long time, and now I have the excuse - or the push, if you must :)

Steve and Gaetano
Thanks for the links - really useful!

Frank
You're right about those features not being in MySQL at the moment, but I was just trying to level
the playing field out by saying let's ignore the features for the time being and concentrate at
other stuff. PostgreSQL kicks some serious butt as far as features are concerned, no doubt ;)

Scott
Thanks for taking out the time for that long reply man - really appreciate it! MySQL does seem a
little primitive and amatuerish compared to PostgreSQL now :)

Sean and Oliver
I gather from your posts that PostgreSQL is definitely more stable and robust than MySQL - you did
share some good "real world experiences" I was looking for - thanks guys!

Bruce
If you're reading this - though this is from another thread - I still haven't found that button
mate - will let you know as soon as I find it ;)

Also Marc Bastin who sent a PM - thanks!

Cheers guys - I guess I'll be around here a lot more to pester you all with questions ;)
Kunal