Re: Unsupported 3rd-party solutions (Was: Few questions

From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unsupported 3rd-party solutions (Was: Few questions
Date: 2004-08-25 15:39:53
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Thomas Hallgren wrote:

> 1. your project must be pgxs compatible.
> 2. it must be hosted on pgFoundry.
> 3. it must have automatic regression testing built in (perhaps this is part
> of #1).
> 4. documentation must follow some guidelines so that it is easy to combine it
> with other docs.
> 5. someone must suggest it as a candidate for inclusion and give a good
> motivation.

Now, inclusion into where? The list?

> 6. there's a voting period and a minimum number of votes.

This one, I would say, will be very difficult ... what if its a one of
piece of software, that 2 ppl are using, but its very good at what it
does? Or a one of piece of software, that sucks royally but is the only
thing available, and 100 ppl are using?

> 7. if the votes are in your favor, your project will be part of the
> supported configurations and you will be asked to participate in the
> integration work.

Integration work ... where?

> My Concerns:
> Who is behind PGFoundry? Is performance ok now :-)

Check it out ... just tested it from here and seems okay to me ...

> This project might be perceived as a thirdparty add-on and thus, fail
> its purpose. The steering committee must stand behind this officially.
> Will you? What's your opinion about the suggestion?

Behind what? A list on pgFoundry of recommended software? Sure ...
integrating that list into the physical postgresql.tar.gz file that is the
core server distribution? No ...

----