Re: Unsupported 3rd-party solutions (Was: Few questions

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Thomas Hallgren <thhal(at)mailblocks(dot)com>,pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Unsupported 3rd-party solutions (Was: Few questions
Date: 2004-08-25 16:58:49
Lists: pgsql-general
On 8/25/2004 11:39 AM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Thomas Hallgren wrote:
>> This project might be perceived as a thirdparty add-on and thus, fail
>> its purpose. The steering committee must stand behind this officially.
>> Will you? What's your opinion about the suggestion?
>
> Behind what?  A list on pgFoundry of recommended software?  Sure ...
> integrating that list into the physical postgresql.tar.gz file that is the
> core server distribution?  No ...

Marc, what does "stand behind this officially" mean to you? In my book
that means "I am willing to defend it as if it is my personal opinion".

We, the core team, are the official voice of the PostgreSQL project.
Like it or not, but people do expect us to tell them what the project
recommends as tools and interfaces, that much should be clear from this
whole discussion by now. And I don't see a darn difference in putting
that "document" on pgFoundry, postgresql.org or right into the tarball.

Jan