Re: SQL Challenge: Arbitrary Cross-tab

From: elein <elein(at)varlena(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL Challenge: Arbitrary Cross-tab
Date: 2004-08-18 03:18:36
Lists: pgsql-sql

I would use my report writer, but in any case you'd
want at least 2 separate queries, maybe three to
keep it simple and readable.

If you are allowed to use stored procedures you can
build up the output by using simple concats instead
of text aggregation (which is a procedure of simple
concats).

Using loops and subqueries you should be to construct
the heading (count distinct timekeeper_id) and then select
the data row by row concatenating results before you
send it out.

This is a non-solution which effectively hides the
aggregation in a function.

Or write it in a client perl app if you must.

You can't really do it w/o loops or aggregates.
(I wish (hope?) I were wrong about this.)

--elein