Re: How copy a new line char to a file?

From: Clodoaldo Pinto Neto <clodoaldo_pinto(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br>
To: Clodoaldo Pinto Neto <clodoaldo_pinto(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)br>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How copy a new line char to a file?
Date: 2004-08-11 20:40:46
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all,

I should have explained it better:

Why don't I just insert each line in the table and let "copy to" do its
thing inserting a new line char (lf) at the end of each line?
Because I need the file lines to be in a certain order. Copy to will
copy the lines in its own order.
Until now I'm inserting html pages in a single line table without a lf
and copying then to files. Here is the result:
http://planeta.terra.com.br/informatica/kakaostats/
http://planeta.terra.com.br/informatica/kakaostats/t13802.html
Right click the page and click view source and there it is, a single
giant line.
The problem with mixing html and pl/pgsql is that it becomes a big
mess. It is very hard to evolve the code and understand it.
So I choose to not output html anymore but cvs text and build the page
with php. Advantages: much simpler pl/pgsql code and upload size 80%
smaller.
Lines finishing with a lf are much easier to parse in php (fgetcsv).
This and the need to have then ordered is why i need to insert lfs in
the single line table from which to copy to file.
I have solved it with a simple python script but it is one more step
and is not fail safe. Where there would be a lf I insert the string
"newLine". Then in the python script I change it to an actual lf char.
But in the remote possibility that there is or there will be this
string in the database (600+ thousand distinct user names) then the
output file will be wrong.
Also it is one more piece of software to be mantained.

Regards,
Clodoaldo Pinto