Re: Add Missing From?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Add Missing From?
Date: 2004-08-10 17:26:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce,

> Yea, I guess for a long table that also needed an alias you would have
> to specify the long name every time you reference the table. However,
> we haven't had anyone ask for that capability, even for UPDATE which
> does already have that limitation. Seems like a new TODO item but I am
> not sure anyone wants it.

Oh, I think many people want this (I'd use it) but it's not in anybody's "top
10" list which is why you don't hear about it. I'd say throw it in the TODO
in case some university student studying query parsers wants to implement it
for us at some undefined date in the future. Also, it will spare you
questions about it later ... "It's in the TODO!"

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions