Re: reproducible bug in I don't know what component

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Markus Bertheau <twanger(at)bluetwanger(dot)de>
Cc: PostgreSQL Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Нарыжный Илья Георгиевич <phantom_(at)mail(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: reproducible bug in I don't know what component
Date: 2004-07-23 15:00:21
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Am Freitag, 23. Juli 2004 15:30 schrieb Markus Bertheau:
> > That's your problem. Your locale doesn't match your encoding. You need
> > to use a compatible combination.
>
> What is happening in the server that this is required?

When you ask locale-aware functions to compare strings, convert to lower-case,
or what the case may be, these functions expect the strings to have a certain
encoding (after all they just receive a stream of bytes, so they cannot check
the encoding themselves). So if the function thinks it's comparing two
KOI8-R strings and you are actually passing UTF-8 strings, the results are
going to be close to comparing garbage.

--
Peter Eisentraut