pgadmin problem

From: mmd(at)teledavis(dot)com
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: pgadmin problem
Date: 2004-07-23 12:58:34
Lists: pgsql-general

I want to use pgadmin to set up some tables, rather than do all the
psql statements from the terminal.

When I try to add a server, though, pgadmin fails to connect, and asks
whether the server is accepting TCP/IP connections on the default
port, and whether localhost is the correct servername.

I assume that both of these ARE set to the defaults, because if I
simply type

$ psql contacts

I go right into psql, where I am allowed to make and alter tables.

Is there something along the lines of a "psql -v" that would tell
me what the server calls itself, and what ports it's listening on (oh,
and whether it's allowing TCP/IP connections)?

If not, is there better help on this pgadmin3 dialogue somewhere? The
stock documentation is very thin.

Best,
Matt

--