Re: Point in Time Recovery

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Point in Time Recovery
Date: 2004-07-17 00:08:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Let me address you concerns about PITR getting into 7.5. I think a few
people spoke last week expressing concern about our release process and
wanting to take drastic action. However, looking at the release status
report I am about to post, you will see we are on track for an August 1
beta.

PITR has been neglected only because it has been moving along so well we
haven't needed to get deeply involved. Simon has been able to address
concerns as we raised them and make adjustments quickly with little
guidance.

Now, we certainly don't want to skip adding PITR by not giving it our
full attention to get into 7.5. Once Tom completes the cursor issues
with NT in the next day or so, I think that removes the last big NT
stumbling block, and we will start to focus on PITR. Unless there is
some major thing we are missing, we fully expect to get PITR in 7.5. We
don't have a crystal ball to know for sure, but our intent is clear.

I know Simon is going away July 26 so we want to get him feedback as
soon as possible. If we wait until after July 26, we will have to make
all the adjustments without Simon's guidance, which will be difficult.

As far as the importance of PITR, it is a _key_ enterprise feature, even
more key than NT. PITR is going to be one of the crowning jewels of the
7.5 release, and I don't want to go into beta without it unless we can't
help it.

So, I know with the deadline looming, and everyone it getting nervous,
but keep the faith. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I
know this is a tighter schedule than we would like, but I know we can do
it, and I expect we will do it.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us