Re: nested xacts and phantom Xids

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: nested xacts and phantom Xids
Date: 2004-06-29 21:47:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

On Sun, Jun 20, 2004 at 08:49:22PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

> There's a good deal more than that missing :-(. Here are the modules or
> actions that are called in CommitTransaction and/or AbortTransaction
> that have not yet been touched by the patch:
>
> localbuf.c (refcounts need fixed same as bufmgr)

Here is a patch against the original versions of these files; cleaned up
bufmgr.c somewhat. Adds the same logic to local buffers (moving the
BufferRefCount struct declaration to buf_internals.h so it's shared by
both bufmgr.c and localbuf.c). Needs xact.c and xact.h patched as in
the second patch.

As with the bufmgr.c original patch, I don't really know how to test
that this actually works. I fooled around with printing what it was
doing during a subtrans commit/abort, and it seems OK, but that's about
it. In what situations can a transaction roll back with a nonzero
reference count in a local buffer?

"I dream about dreams about dreams", sang the nightingale
under the pale moon (Sandman)

Attachment Content-Type Size
buffer.patch text/plain 10.6 KB
buffer-xact.patch text/plain 1.8 KB