Re: recursive SQL

From: Andrew Overholt <overholt(at)redhat(dot)com>
To: "jacob koehler (RRes-Roth)" <jacob(dot)koehler(at)bbsrc(dot)ac(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, gppl(at)inbox(dot)ru, Alexander Rüegg <arueegg(at)uni-bielefeld(dot)de>
Subject: Re: recursive SQL
Date: 2004-06-28 15:44:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* jacob koehler (RRes-Roth) <jacob(dot)koehler(at)bbsrc(dot)ac(dot)uk> [2004-06-27 20:58]:

> cons:
> - its not standard SQL (uses oracle style syntax)

Besides the GPL issue, this is my biggest problem.

> i am aware of the fact that tom lane pointed to the fact that Andrew
> Overholt did work towards SQL99 compliant recursive queries. it would be
> interesting to know andrews opinion how much more work would be needed to
> get a SQL99 compliant version out based on the work he has done so far,
> and what he thinks about Evgen potemkin's patch (i cced this mail to
> Andrew and Evgen).

My work towards SQL-standard recursive queries is nowhere near complete and
I'm sure any patches I had are severely rotten by now. I'll try to grab
what I had and see if I can get a patch from which people can maybe pick
up.

Sorry for dropping the ball on this one. I was back finishing up my
degree this past year and my current work isn't database-related :( . I'll
see what I can do. This would be a great feature for PostgreSQL.

Andrew