CLUSTER strategy

From: Chris Gamache <cgg007(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: CLUSTER strategy
Date: 2004-06-10 15:34:12
Lists: pgsql-admin

I need an informed opinion:

The performance boost from clustering is wonderful. But, some tables would have
to clustered several times a day, since there is usually some type of "status"
column that is updated pretty regularly. Clustering is an expensive operation.
If I pulled out that column into another "child" table and linked the tables by
a foreign key to the "parent" I could update the "child" table and it wouldn't
foul up the master table's ordering at all. Create a view on the two tables,
and I'd have a relatively-stable setup as far as ordering goes, yes?

Is this adviseable? In the long-run, will it yield the results that I expect?
Did I miss any details? Should I be looking for any pitfalls?

CG