Unresponsive vacuum process

From: "Ed L(dot)" <pgsql(at)bluepolka(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Unresponsive vacuum process
Date: 2004-05-19 15:52:19
Lists: pgsql-general

I have a 7.2.1 backend running VACUUM which appears to be blocking all other
processes. I have issued SIGTERM and SIGINT directly to that backend and
also killed the client process, but the VACUUM continues chewing up CPU and
blocking others. I know we need an upgrade; does anyone know how I can get
this VACUUM backend killed without taking down all the blocked/pending
UPDATEs and INSERTs?