Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
Cc: "'Marc G(dot) Fournier'" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date: 2004-04-30 03:35:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Claudio Natoli wrote:

> > > Win32 has continued on a steady pace for six months now.
> >
> > Be honest ... 6 months ago, did you believe the Win32 work would have
> > taken >6 months? How many of the current issues could you have
> > anticipated? How many will crop up in the next month?
>
> FWIW, the backend porting effort started less than 5 months ago :-P
>
> What "current issues" are there? The only ones of any significance that
> popped up were the APC/socket interactions and the localtime deficiencies,
> both of which now appear solved.
>
> Perhaps I will regret saying this but from my point of view, apart from the
> fsync/sync code Tom is working on that I am in complete ignorance of, I do
> not imagine any new issues in the remaining items required to get win32 to
> beta.

Agreed. My major issue is that we don't have enough _big_ items
completed to set a feature freeze date. I think we need X big items
completed before we can push for 7.5, even forgetting Win32.

I know we did a lot already, but we need some big splash items for 7.5.
These are being worked on, and if it takes X months to get them, it
takes X months.

Once we have X features working, we can look for a feature freeze. Maybe
those features will not even include Win32 (though I would be
surprised).

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us