Re: Boolean/Bit BUG with 7.4 JDBC Driver (build 213)

From: "j(dot)random(dot)programmer" <javadesigner(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Boolean/Bit BUG with 7.4 JDBC Driver (build 213)
Date: 2004-04-17 02:27:17
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Oliver wrote:

> 1) BOOLEAN exists only in JDBC3. What should the
> driver return for a
> boolean column if JDBC1 or JDBC2 is in use?

Hmm. I see. Maybe fallback to BIT for those and
return BOOLEAN it usinng JDBC3 ? But that may be
more trouble than it's worth.

> 2) JDBC3 explicitly says that either BOOLEAN or BIT
> may be returned for
> a boolean data type. See the tables in appendix B of
> the specificaton
> (pg. 175-180).

Ok. Thanks for pointing this out.

> 3) JDBC3 also says that "BOOLEAN is logically
> equivalent to BIT" (pg. 22).

Ok. Leave things the way they are. This is no big
deal in hindsight. In my database abstraction layer,
I have arranged to generate a 'getBoolean(..) method
for both BIT and BOOLEAN column types.

Best regards,

--j