Re: Whats missing from postgresql

From: Frank Finner <postgresql(at)finner(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Whats missing from postgresql
Date: 2004-04-06 20:26:42
Lists: pgsql-general

On 31 Mar 2004 17:00:52 -0800 anthony_barker(at)hotmail(dot)com (Anthony_Barker) sat down, thought long and
then wrote:

> PostgreSQL does not offer the following key features typically
> provided in enterprise databases(according to Aberdeen):
> _ Incremental and parallel backup/restore

If you do several backup jobs for several databases on one engine at the same time, isn´t that
"parallel backup"? But incremental would be really a nice thing for big databases.

> _ Encryption (security)
> _ Deadlock detection
> _ Row-level locking (typically required by large packaged
> applications) _
> although PostgreSQL does offer alternative sub-table locking schemes
> _ Bit-mapped indexing (for large data warehouses)
> _ A single GUI administrative interface

I would call PgAdmin such a thing.

> _ View update/insert/delete
>

> I was pretty sure that NETAPP offers incremental backup of Postgresql
> - but perhaps I'm wrong.
>
> What about the row level locking or the other features. Are they
> issues for anyone?
>
> http://www.sleepycat.com/aberdeenwp/
>
> Anthony
> http://xminc.com/mt/

What I am still _really_ missing is a simple reliable way for replication. I really would appreciate
a good eager master-master-replication for failover purposes (eg. Heartbeat). Although once an
Oracle consultant told me, that even for Oracle it is not simple and they do not recommend it. They
prefer "lazy" replication.

Regards, Frank.