Re: Function to kill backend

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Function to kill backend
Date: 2004-04-06 19:10:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce,

> OK, you have a runaway report. You want to stop it. Query cancel is
> only going to stop the current query, and once you do that the next
> query is fed in so there is no way to actually stop the report,
> especially if the report is not being run from the same machine as the
> server (you can't kill the report process). How do you stop it without
> SIGTERM? You don't want to shut down the postmaster.

Hmmm ... but, at least in the case of my apps, killing the PG connection
wouldn't fix things. Most apps I work on are designed to detect connection
failure and reconnect. I suspect that most platforms that use connection
pooling are the same. So your case would only work if you actually blocked
all connections from that host -- not a capability we'd discussed.

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions