Re: Problems Vacuum'ing

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems Vacuum'ing
Date: 2004-04-02 18:28:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 12:02:22PM -0500, Jim Seymour wrote:

[...]

> Which is all well-and-good (tho, my ignorance readily conceded, four
> minutes seems a mite... long), *except*: If I shut-down the
> WebObjects application which, again, never accesses the db in
> question, much-less any of its tables, this "time-out" doesn't seem
> to apply. (I tried it.)

Ok, so the WebObjects app keeps an idle open transaction? (i.e. it
issues a BEGIN as soon as the previous transaction is finished.) I'm not
sure I read the code correctly -- ISTM it would only matter when you try
to vacuum a shared table, which this is not ...

"El hombre nunca sabe de lo que es capaz hasta que lo intenta" (C. Dickens)