Re: self referencing tables/ nested sets etc...

From: Rob Hoopman <rob(at)tuna(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg(at)aon(dot)at>
Subject: Re: self referencing tables/ nested sets etc...
Date: 2004-03-25 19:56:35
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thursday 25 March 2004 12:19, Manfred Koizar wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 22:25:17 +0100, Rob Hoopman <rob(at)tuna(dot)nl> wrote:
> >What solutions are there to storing a wide/shallow self referencing tree
> > in a database?
>
> contrib/ltree (http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/ltree/) or
> Joe's connectby() might help.
That's just what I need, thanks!

> >( And the 'Real World Performance group at
> >Oracle Corp.' sounds like a ringing endorsement )
>
> Ok, that made me change my sig. <bg>
:-)
I should have know the Oracle Corp's 'Real World' has little or nothing to do
with my real world.

> > I have spent today wrestling with [...]
> > inaccuracies in the article,
>
> ^
> ... and bugs ...
That's what I was thinking, but I thought surely this Oracle dude knows better
than me.

> > It appears that when adding more than 48 sub nodes
> >to any node in the tree, craps out because of an INT8 column overflowing.
>
> AFAICS it doesn't depend on the number of siblings, but it fails when
> the sum of the numbers in dotted path notation exceeds 62.

Maybe, but some of the intermediate steps are larger than the number that gets
stored in the end. Actually that's where this implementation broke for me.

> <rant>
SNIP
> </rant>
Thanks, that was educational.