Re: pg_advisor schema proof of concept

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Subject: Re: pg_advisor schema proof of concept
Date: 2004-03-25 16:19:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fabien, Christopher:

It would be nice for pgAdmin & PhpPgAdmin to have GUI interfaces to
pg_advisor, though.

Also, I would argue for this to be a GBorg/pgFoundry project rather than part
of the core. It's the sort of thing that could easily be database-version
agnostic, and that SQL jockeys who are not Hackers could contribute to.

> Also, if they have a partial index on the FK, it's not good enough! In
> CVS, IS NOT NULL partial indexes should be used, but in general all
> others still won't...

Whoa, there, partner! Keep in mind that there are *often* reasons for using
a partial index on an FK, or even no index at all! The docs for pg_advisor
need to reflect that it only catches little details the developer might
otherwise have missed. It's not smarter than a DBA.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions