Re: Chapter on PostreSQL in a book

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Sailesh Krishnamurthy <sailesh(at)cs(dot)berkeley(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: Chapter on PostreSQL in a book
Date: 2004-03-24 16:39:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Sailesh,

First off, I'd suggest reopening this topic on Advocacy or Docs. Hackers is
really not the list for this, and I think you'd get more feedback on those
other lists.

> - Database Design and Querying Tools

Well, I think there is no question that phpPgAdmin and pgAdminIII are our two
leading Admin/Database Browsing tools. If you drop to the runners-up,
though, you have a choice of 8 or 9 different tools which are still current.
Perhaps this page will give some perspective?
http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/GUITools

I might suggest, for a single chapter, going over the top two but mentioning
that there are many others.

> - Replication, Distribution and External Data

For replication we have and will continute to have several solutions, both OSS
and commercial. Replication is not a problem that suits itself to a single,
monolithic solution, and our diversity is superiority. You should mention
eRServer, SlonyI, DBmirror, and Mammoth Replication.

What are distribution & external data?

> - Database Administration Tools

How is this different from the first item?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions