Re: COPY formatting

From: Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: COPY formatting
Date: 2004-03-18 06:48:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 11:02:38AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz> writes:
> > The formatting function API can be pretty simple:
> > text *my_copy_format(text *attrdata, int direction,
> > int nattrs, int attr, oid attrtype, oid relation)
>
> This seems like it could only reasonably be implemented as a C function.

Why? I said it's pseudo code. It should use standard fmgr API like
every other PostgreSQL function or is it problem and I overlook
something? It must to support arbitrary programming language and not
C only.

> I can't really imagine the average user of COPY wanting to write C in
> preference to, say, an external perl script. What's the real use-case
> for the feature?

Don't hardcode any format to PostgreSQL, be open for others formats.

Karel

--
Karel Zak <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
http://home.zf.jcu.cz/~zakkr/