Re: Import from Ms Excel

From: Jeff Eckermann <jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>, psql <pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Import from Ms Excel
Date: 2004-03-16 16:13:57
Lists: pgsql-sql

--- Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 03:13:38PM +0530, Kumar
> wrote:
> > Dear Friends,
> >
> > Is possible to import data from MS Excel sheet
> into postgres
> > database 7.3.4 running on Linux 7.2
>
> Yes. I find the easiest way is to export a
> delimited file from Excel
> and use the \copy command in psql.

A couple of quick points:

* Don't use .csv, unless you are quite sure that your
data does not include any commas. "Copy" isn't smart
enough to know that the quotes mean "ignore the
delimiters inside here".

* If your data does include commas, even using
tab-delimited will cause Excel to pointlessly quote
those columns, and the quotes will be imported as data
unless you remove them.

* Make sure to remove any carriage returns that may
have been included with your line endings. I think
newer versions of "copy" are better about handling
that, but best to be sure...