Granting access

From: Bill Moseley <moseley(at)hank(dot)org>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Granting access
Date: 2004-03-15 18:10:26
Lists: pgsql-novice

I'm wondering if there's an easier way to grant access to a database to
other users.

I create a database and create tables under my own account "moseley",
so "moseley" is the owner of the objects.

Now, I want to provide access to another user "otheruser". So I setup
the pg_hba.conf file for authentication (in this case I'm using md5).
"otheruser" will actually be the web server accessing the database via a
username and password.

"otheruser" can connect to the database and create objects, but cannot access
the objects created my user "moseley".

So, I have to go in as user moseley and for every object I have do:

grant all on table inventory to otheruser;
grant all on table inventory_id_seq otheruser;
[...]

I want "otheruser" to have the same permissions as user "moseley", so is
there an easy way to grant this access on all objects?

Is there a way to say any new objects will also have the same
permissions, too? That is, if later "moseley" creates a new table that
"otheruser" will automatically have access to that table?

--
Bill Moseley
moseley(at)hank(dot)org