Re: Log rotation

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Fernando Nasser <fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com>, Lamar Owen <lowen(at)pari(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Log rotation
Date: 2004-03-14 19:09:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:
> > What versions of syslog fsync, and where is the syslog.conf option. I
> > don't see it on FreeBSD or Linux.
>
> It's a per-output-file option. My Linux manpage for syslogd quoth
>
> The - may only be used to prefix a filename if you want to omit
> sync'ing the file after every write to it.
>
> I believe this notation is inherited from BSD. I don't see anything
> about it in the HPUX man page for syslogd, though.

I see no mention of that flag in Free/NetBSD, or bsdi. I do see a
mention in Red Hat 9.

Looking at my syslog source code, the only lines that get fsync'ed are
lines from /dev/klog (kernel log messages). I think non-kernel messages
use the /var/run/log socket.

syslogd manual page says:

Syslogd reads messages from the LOCAL domain socket /var/run/log, from an
Internet domain socket specified in /etc/services, and from the special
device /dev/klog (to read kernel messages). Messages received on the In-
ternet and LOCAL domain sockets may be NULL terminated and may include a
single trailing newline, any other non-printable characters are encoded
into a visible representation by strvisx(3).

I wonder if this fsync for PostgreSQL messages is some change made to
Linux syslog.

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us