Re: [DEFAULT] Daily digest v1.4318 (23 messages)

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: chadzakary(at)hotmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: [DEFAULT] Daily digest v1.4318 (23 messages)
Date: 2004-03-10 17:21:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Chad,

> I'm talking about the stuff that the other poster (cant see his name
> right now, sorry) doubts will ever be in postgres. ie you can seek to
> anywhere in the Btree using a row offset as a "search" key.

And this is more useful than LIMIT # OFFSET # on queries, how, exactly?

> I'd love to hear why this would be hard to support in a materialized
> view. Could you explain that ? Berkeley DB supports it.

Berkeley DB is not a Relational Database.

It's not a question of "hard to support". It's a question of "don't want to
support". One of the core tenets of relational database theory is that
there are no row numbers; rows only have a fixed order as a part of a sorted
final output set (e.g. a query with an ORDER BY).

I don't know what kind of application you're trying to support that you think
row numbers are such a keen idea. As far as we're concerned, row numbers
are an inefficient throwback to the pre-relational databases of the early
1980's; why would we want them?

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions