Re: Tablespaces

From: Andrew Sullivan <ajs(at)crankycanuck(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tablespaces
Date: 2004-03-08 13:32:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 02:07:35AM +0200, Marko Karppinen wrote:
> One thing to keep in mind is that system administrators don't see
> symlinks as being informational -- they see them as the actual UI
> for the redirection in question. So their expectation is that they'll
> be able to move the actual directory around at will (as long as they
> update the symlink to match).

This is a good point. It's worth keeping in mind, too, that in large
shops, the DBAs and the sysadmins often are in separate departments
with separate management, precisely because the database system has
traditionally been somewhat divorced from the OS (as an aside, I
suspect that this sort of separation is part of the reason for the
popularity of raw filesystems among DBAs. Even if they didn't
provide better speed, it's just preferable not to have to involve
another department). System administrators in such places have been
known to decide to "reorganise the disks", assuming that the database
just has its own home. For such a sysadmin, a pile of symlinks would
be fair game for reorganisation.