7.4.2 release notes

From: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: 7.4.2 release notes
Date: 2004-03-05 20:00:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Here are the 7.4.2 release notes I made. I have a few question:

What detail do we need on the pg_statistics alignment fix? Do we need
to show an UPDATE query to fix database? What are the ramifications of
leaving it alone?

A few categories list "various fixes" for rare fixes we made in a few
areas. We would not normally spell those out in detail in a major
release, and I assume we wouldn't do that in a minor release either.

I will add comments to a few of them later.

Release Notes

Release 7.4.2

Release date: 2004-03-??

This release contains a variety of fixes from 7.4.1.

Migration to version 7.4.2

A dump/restore is *not* required for those running 7.4.X.

Changes

As of 2004-03-02

* Fix problems with ALTER TABLE during concurrent access (Tom)
* Improve hash build reliability (Tom)
* Fix statistics alignment bug that could affect optimizer, initdb
required (Tom)
* Optimizer improvements (Tom)
* Permission fix for view updates (Tom)
* Allow non-super users to update pg_settings (Tom)
* Fix for multibyte handling in position() (Korea PostgreSQL Users'
Group)
* Various multibyte fixes
* Fix problem with hitting open file limit, especially on OS X (Tom)
* Have pg_dump set client encoding on restore (Tom)
* Allow ecpg to again use C keywords as column names (Michael)
* Added ecpg WHENEVER NOT_FOUND to SELECT/INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE
(Michael)
* Fix ecpg crash for queries calling set-returning functions
(Michael)
* Various ecpg fixes (Michael)
* Fixes for Borland compiler
* Thread build improvements (Bruce)
* Fix for configure --disable-shared support (Tom)
* Various build fixes
* Various jdbc fixes

--
Bruce Momjian | http://candle.pha.pa.us