debugging query to put message in pg logfile?

From: george young <gry(at)ll(dot)mit(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: debugging query to put message in pg logfile?
Date: 2004-03-04 20:32:19
Lists: pgsql-sql

[postgresql-7.4RC2, python-2.3.3, PyGreSQL-3.4, SuSE x86 Linux 8.2]

I've started putting debugging queries like:

select "opwin.py: committing step signoff"

in my app, just to have an entry in the postgres logfile. These are
especially helpful in tracking down what piece of code did a 'commit',
since there's nothing to distinguish one from another in the log.

Is there some cheaper (or more appropriate) sql statement that will show
up in the postgres log? I thought I remembered a "message" sql statement
or something like that.

-- George Young

--
"Are the gods not just?" "Oh no, child.
What would become of us if they were?" (CSL)