Re: Upgraded Site..any news ?

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: David Costa <geeks(at)dotgeek(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alexey Borzov <borz_off(at)cs(dot)msu(dot)su>, Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Upgraded Site..any news ?
Date: 2004-03-01 04:24:00
Lists: pgsql-www

On Saturday 28 February 2004 18:59, David Costa wrote:
> On Feb 28, 2004, at 4:56 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Alexey Borzov wrote:
> >> Horde is under LGPL. I am not a license guru, so please tell me
> >> whether
> >> it is OK to use parts of it.
> >
> > It is not. LGPL requires that any changes we make be published, and we
> > currently don't have that resetriction with our BSD license.
>
> I am not 100% sure but, if you need a class (e.g. a php pear class)
> which is released under e.g. php license you can certainly use it
> regardless of what your license policy is unless you plan to modify it
> and redistribute it under a difference license.
>
> The same would apply for a CPAN module, there are released under
> artistic license isn't it ?
>
> If we take a class and extend it that should just be as fine as we are
> using it. What exactly are you planning to use from Horde?
> the mirror ip to country is a rather basic script (if you use the same
> one used at php.net) and doesn't even need a class as far as I know..
> http://www.php.net/source.php?url=/my.php )

The problem is that if we modify these classes/packages and then make them a
part of our source tree, we are bound by whatever license terms the packages
come with. Since we offer our code as BSD, we cannot include code that would
restrict our ability to license the web code under BSD. We can use the lgpl
classes provided in PEAR so long as it's not required the code be put into
our source tree, but lifting code from one of these and including it in our
code is not acceptable.

Robert Treat