Re: [HACKERS] Collaboration Tool Proposal -- Summary to date

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Collaboration Tool Proposal -- Summary to date
Date: 2004-02-29 21:49:06
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32 pgsql-www

Neil,

> Frankly, I think the PostgreSQL project would be sending "the wrong
> message" if we chose our tools on any basis other than functionality.
> We ought to use what works, whether it supports PG or not. Whether the
> bug tracker tool uses PostgreSQL, flat files or MS Access to store
> data is entirely secondary to whether it serves the needs of the
> development group.

OK, then, more substantial: I personally lack confidence in any tool that
uses an in-memory object database to store persistent data. I also feel
pessimistic about our ability to extend and integrate a tool which uses
radically different storage mechanism than the other tools we're using.
Finally, for any of these things I forsee asking the communites involved with
those projects for help, and it seems foolish to beg for help (as would
probably be required of a project that does nor support PG) when there are
people offering to help us.

THIS JUST IN: as if we didn't have enough options, Talli of the OpenACS
community has offered their help with using OpenACS modules for any of the
web tasks we've discussed. More later.

--
-Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions