Re: [ADMIN] Schema comparisons

From: "Alex J(dot) Avriette" <alex(at)posixnap(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Mark Lubratt <mark(dot)lubratt(at)indeq(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Schema comparisons
Date: 2004-02-29 02:23:48
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 10:39:40AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

> >> Have you tried diffing pg_dump output? It's not the greatest tool but
> >> it's helpful.
>
> > Yes, I did. It was quite cumbersome. Especially since the OIDs and
> > TOC entry numbers didn't matchup; and, since those didn't always match,
> > the order of objects wasn't quite the same either. So, diff was
> > throwing a lot of false positives at me.
>
> Yeah. CVS-tip pg_dump doesn't show OIDs by default, to make it easier
> to use for purposes like this. The ordering issue is the bigger problem
> though. I presume that the object creation history is different in the
> two databases and so pg_dump's habit of sorting by OID isn't helpful.

I recently had to figure out what was different between the "live" schema
and the schema in cvs at work. This was a really painful process, and it
occurred to me that it wouldn't be terribly hard to write a perl program
to do it (I wound up using vim and diff). Is there interest in such a tool?
I could probably have one written within a day or two.

Alex

--
alex(at)posixnap(dot)net
Alex J. Avriette, Solaris Systems Masseur