Re: [HACKERS] Collaboration Tool Proposal

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: "Jeroen T(dot) Vermeulen" <jtv(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
Cc: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Collaboration Tool Proposal
Date: 2004-02-26 19:07:03
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32 pgsql-www

Jeroen,

> I for one am willing to try this in the near term.

Great!

> I've got an external
> domain (pqxx.tk) pointing to the libpqxx page on GBorg, and moving it over
> to a new URL is child's play. My main worry is transition management:
>
> - How will mailing list subscribers be affected?
> - How will CVS users be affected?
> - Can the mailing list archives be moved over?
> - Where will my old bug reports and corresponding discussions go?
> - Can FAQ entries be copied over automatically?
> - Is there a way of migrating these services one by one?

Either Tim, Chris, or both will help with this. If we can't migrate
everything by script, we'll have to give up on the idea. Some projects, like
JDBC, have huge mailing list archives.

I think you would want to do the migration "all at once", though. Putting up
a page explaining that the CVS is on GForge but the mailing lists are non
GBorg for a week would confuse the heck out of people, I think.

Since both systems are based on postgresql databases, migration should be the
simple expedient of writing the right Perl/PHP+SQL script.

> If it takes some scripting and/or programming to do some of this, I'm
> willing to help insofar as I have time.

Terrific!

--
-Josh Berkus