Re: Restore live backup from posgtres/data/base/* gives PHPPGADMIN errors, works fine otherwise

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Jo Voordeckers <jo(at)no_mail_from_usenet(dot)be>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Restore live backup from posgtres/data/base/* gives PHPPGADMIN errors, works fine otherwise
Date: 2004-02-14 23:17:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jo Voordeckers wrote:
> What exactly are these PG_CLOG files for... they seem pretty
> important and not corresponding to a single DB. What I don't
> understand is that some query's error on this while others run
> fine... And again how can you identify the PG_CLOG files's
> corresponding DB's.

The clog files store which transactions were commited or rolled back
("commit log") and they apply to the entire database cluster.
Therefore (and for other, related reasons), you cannot restore a single
database file into an existing cluster without either trashing that one
database, the cluster, or both.