Re: Storing Configuration settings for a database?

From: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
To: dante(at)lorenso(dot)com, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Storing Configuration settings for a database?
Date: 2004-01-26 15:48:11
Lists: pgsql-general

On Monday 26 January 2004 11:47, D. Dante Lorenso wrote:
> I want to store config file keys and values in my PG database
> in order to 1) be able to INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE configuration settings
> without a flat file and 2) give access to the config settings with
> my web application.
>
> Right now, my java application uses a config file similar to an .INI
> file with the following format:
>
> [section1]
> key1 = value1
> key2 = "Value Two"
> multi word key3 = 12345
> [section2]

> Who has built something similar to what I'm attempting, and what do you
> recommend?

I tend to have something like:

CREATE TABLE config_settings AS (
section varchar(64),
item varchar(64),
type varchar(16),
value text,
PRIMARY KEY (section,item)
);

In general, two levels (section,item) seem enough, but it's trivial to add
another. I cast the value from text => my desired type in the app (or raise
an exception if there is a problem).

Oh - I frequently add a "notes" or "description" column to for instructions on
what value should go in.

--
Richard Huxton
Archonet Ltd