Re: BUG #1061: message type 0x49 arrived from server while

From: Robert Creager <Robert_Creager(at)LogicalChaos(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PGBugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #1061: message type 0x49 arrived from server while
Date: 2004-01-23 03:48:19
Lists: pgsql-bugs

When grilled further on (Thu, 22 Jan 2004 22:19:44 -0500),
Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> confessed:

> Robert Creager <Robert_Creager(at)LogicalChaos(dot)org> writes:
> > What more information would you be looking for?
>
> Well, in the words of the old saw, if we knew what we were looking for
> it wouldn't be research ...

That's fine. The 'tone' of your e-mail led me to believe I wasn't providing
something obvious, which I could believe.

> I'm sure we could solve it quickly if we could get a reproducible test
> case, but it sounds like you are nowhere near being able to provide
> that. I would suggest looking for context information: what else is
> happening at the same time this happens?

Multiple 'simultaneous' connections (through forking) is a possibility. I
believe it was 4 child processes when this occurred the last time, but I'm not
100% sure.

> Another thing that would probably give enough information to solve it
> is a trace of the connection from a TCP packet sniffer, for at least
> a few packets leading up to the error message. Not sure if it's
> practical to try to get one, but if you could it'd be great.

Not a problem. Thankfully I have full control on this box, not the Solaris side
though. And the box is dedicated to this database, so there shouldnb't be a ton
of extra traffic either. Just the normal mis-configured network client
broadcast jabber ;-) I should be able to figure out tcpdump enough to filter
out all traffic except that between the two servers.

Cheers,
Rob

--
20:40:25 up 25 days, 10:27, 4 users, load average: 2.02, 2.02, 2.00