Re: trust auth in 7.4

From: Henk van Lingen <henkvl(at)cs(dot)uu(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: trust auth in 7.4
Date: 2004-01-22 17:11:36
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 11:00:25AM -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> > docs say (19.2.1):
> >
> > When trust authentication is specified, PostgreSQL assumes that anyone who
> > can connect to the server is authorized to access the database as whatever
> > database user he specifies (including the database superuser). This method
> > Which of these is right? I hope the last also holds for 'trust' lines?
>
> Both. The second part says that in pg_hba.conf you can say which postgres
> users can connect to which databases. The first part says that trust
> authentication says that postgres will allow you to be whatever user you
> want without having to prove it in any way.

Well, i think the first part is misleading. Trying it it seems to work
as i hoped. If i have a line like

host somedb bruno 192.168.5.5 255.255.255.255 trust

bruno can connect from 192.168.5.5 but tom can't.

I think the first part should say 'as the users specified in the specific
pg_hba.conf line without doing further checks'.

Never mind.

Regards,

--
Henk van Lingen, Systems & Network Administrator (o- -+
Dept. of Computer Science, Utrecht University. /\ |