Re: Old binary packages.

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Lamar Owen <lowen(at)pari(dot)edu>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Old binary packages.
Date: 2004-01-20 18:36:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Lamar Owen wrote:
> While disk may be cheap, it ain't so cheap that wasting it is a good
> thing. With the source releases still available way back, havng
> binaries that old, while useful to some, is not IMO in the best
> interest of all.

But where are the spec files and other stuff that belongs into the old
RPMs? Just the source releases are not enough if someone needs to deal
with old systems. And since you mentioned it, creating a source
tarball from CVS does involve human factors and cannot be repeated at
will.

Some people are still using 7.2, for example, and the first thing you
want to do if you go there is upgrading to the latest 7.2 release. By
removing the binaries without any pressure you're just throwing
obstacles in people's ways. I for one will have to make a full mirror
pretty soon because I do need those old files.