Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Call for 7.5 feature completion
Date: 2004-04-30 03:31:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> On Thu, 29 Apr 2004, Tom Lane wrote:
>> In the first place it's unfair to other developers to make schedule
>> slips at the last moment, and especially to *plan* to do so.

> Isn't it equally unfair to slip the scheduale that developers that have
> been working on some large features (PITR, 2PC immediately coming to mind)
> have been working towards based on a deadline? If Win32 that much more
> important then those other features?

As you well know, I have no use for the Win32 port at all ;-). However,
of the "major features" that Bruce just listed, the Win32 port is the
only one I consider really likely to appear in 7.5; sure it needs major
work yet, but the others are still in the vaporware-till-proven-otherwise
category. Certainly they are not solid enough to justify making
schedule decisions on the basis of "this will probably be ready by date X".

I am willing to adjust the freeze deadline now to make it more probable
that at least one of those major features will really make it into 7.5.
The realities are that the Win32 port should determine any such schedule
decision, because nothing else is close enough to the finish line to
justify considering its needs instead.

I guess my point is really "do you want to freeze on June 1 if *none*
of these features are done?"