Re: tablespaces in 7.5?

From: Mike Nolan <nolan(at)gw(dot)tssi(dot)com>
To: netadmin(at)vcsn(dot)com (Keith C(dot) Perry)
Cc: bmaguire(at)vantage(dot)com (Brian Maguire), johnsw(at)wardbrook(dot)com, pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us (Bruce Momjian), pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: tablespaces in 7.5?
Date: 2003-12-13 18:41:17
Lists: pgsql-general

> Ok, thats for the response. I take it a PG namespace = Oracle table space (or
> namespace is simply the generic term). I can see some definite benefits
> especially with disk i/o throughput though I thought database partitioning (I
> think that is what its called) would provide the same thing.

I could be wrong, but I think 'namespace' is an existing concept in
PG that is a way of organizing objects into logical groups.

As I recall, the group working on it decided to call it a 'directory' rather
than a 'tablespace', because of concerns that the latter word might be
proprietary to Oracle. I've lost touch with the rest of the members in
that group, though, since the computer I was using for PG development
purposes got zapped by lightning in August.
--
Mike Nolan