Re: PostgreSQL Training

From: Frank Way <fgw_three(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: Amy Young <Amy_Young(at)hilton(dot)com>, sank89(at)sancharnet(dot)in
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Training
Date: 2003-12-11 14:08:24
Lists: pgsql-novice

For what it's worth:

If you can find an old server some place that you can throw a copy of
PostgreSQL on, play with it. Break it. Fix it. Play with it some
more.

As an old education major (who got into this biz quite by accident) I
know that people "learn" differently, and that they often have the best
results by learning via the method that best suits their needs.

But, one advantage of playing with it in the manner I describe is that
you don't get locked into the opinions or prejudices of the person
doing the training.

When faced with the probability of using PostgreSQL in a project, I
followed the "Getting Started" section from the documentation on my
linux box at home. I installed it, played with it, wiped it out and
started again.

A little painful at first, but in my opinion, the dividends were HUGE.

Again, your mileage may vary.

Good luck,
Frank

--- Amy Young <Amy_Young(at)hilton(dot)com> wrote:
> Thanks for everyone's support. I really appreciate it. I will admit
> that I learn *best* -- at least in the beginning -- through
> structured,
> formalized face-to-face training. But, there does appear to be a
> community of support here. I haven't started with the basics out of
> the
> book yet, so I think I'll start there (I'm at the VERY beginning, and
> don't want to bog down the list with TOO basic questions). But, rest
> assured, I'll be back.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Amy

=====
Frank Way
E-Mail: fgw_three(at)yahoo(dot)com

"Place guards on all the roads and keep the troops
from running to the rear..." MG John Buford, 1863