Re: [NOVICE] PostgreSQL Training

From: Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bret Busby <bret(at)busby(dot)net>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] PostgreSQL Training
Date: 2003-12-10 20:49:24
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-novice

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> Stephan Szabo <sszabo(at)megazone(dot)bigpanda(dot)com> writes:
> > On Wed, 10 Dec 2003, Bret Busby wrote:
> >> Unfortunately, the result of the lack of formal, structured, PostgreSQL
> >> training and certification, and the apparent resistance to these, in
> >> the PostgreSQL community, is that, like the Perl people, the result is
>
> > I don't think there's a resistance to them except that setting up training
> > and certification costs money.
>
> I think there *would* be resistance to labeling anything as "official
> PostgreSQL certification", mainly because of the problem of who gets
> to decide which things are "official". No one will object if companies

If we wanted something like that, it'd presumably end up being the
community's responsibility to be doing some level of oversight. Possibly
initial test/class material creation would be done that way too. I don't
really think we have people that could put in the effort necessary to
build and then maintain such a system at the moment though, but I'm not
sure that such a thing would necessarily be impossible.

> (Disclaimer: I have no reason to think that Red Hat might offer any
> such certification program for Postgres in the foreseeable future.
> Too bad.)
It is, because they're probably the closest group we have to being able to
offer a reasonably large scale centralized training/testing program.